Thursday, January 17, 2019

Powderhorn Park Art Fair 1992

In 1991, a group of Powderhorn Park Neighborhood artists and volunteers organized the first ever Powderhorn Park Art Fair in the big bowl of Powderhorn Park in Minneapolis. The event was a success and they decided to repeat it for a second year. Now, almost 30 years later, it continues.

The first year of the fair, I filmed and edited a 30 minute documentary video about the fair which played on public access TV in Minneapolis. So I decided to film at the second fair.

I shot two hours of video of that fair and maybe I wasn't able to spend as much time at the fair, or maybe I was too busy with other things, but that two hours of video stayed on a tape and I never looked at it or edited it after I shot it. That tape remained unviewed and unedited until last spring, when I digitized it so I could edit it on the computer. I edited the video down to a little over 20 minutes and here is what I made of it.

It was filmed on Hi-8 tape with my Sony TR81. The video was all on one two hour tape, which was close to film. If I were going to edit it in 1992, I would have had to transfer it to SVHS and edit it on an SVHS edit system at MTN, the public access center where I was volunteering, and where by 1993 I would join the staff.

Today I was able to edit it with Adobe Premiere on my computer in my home office. As I write this, John Karrigan, the volunteer delivering flowers at 1:55, has died over the past weekend. His funeral is this coming Saturday. I'm sure a number of people in this video aren't around any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment